Drs. Charles Jonassaint and Laura De Castro have developed mobile health technologies to improve disease self-management in SCD.
Utilizing a Novel Mobile Health “Selfie” Application to Improve Compliance to Iron Chelation
- Leonard S, Anderson LM, Jonassaint J, Jonassaint C, Shah N. (2017). Utilizing a novel mobile health “selfie” application to improve compliance to iron chelation in pediatric patients receiving chronic transfusions. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol. 39(3):223-229. PMID: 28099398. doi: 10.1097/MPH.0000000000000743.
Engagement and outcomes for a computerised cognitive-behavioural therapy intervention for anxiety and depression in African Americans
- Jonassaint CR, Gibbs P, Belnap BH, Karp JF, Abebe KK, Rollman BL. (2017). Engagement and outcomes for a computerised cognitive-behavioural therapy intervention for anxiety and depression in African Americans. 3(1):1-5. PMID: 28058109. PMCID:PMC5204129. doi: 10.1192/bjpo.bp.116.003657.
Usability and Feasibility of an mHealth Intervention for Monitoring and Managing Pain Symptoms in Sickle Cell Disease
- Jonassaint CR, Shah N, Jonassaint J, De Castro L. (2015). Usability and Feasibility of an mHealth Intervention for Monitoring and Managing Pain Symptoms in Sickle Cell Disease: The Sickle Cell Disease Mobile Application to Record Symptoms via Technology (SMART). Hemoglobin. 39(3):162-8. PMID: 25831427. doi: 10.3109/03630269.2015.1025141.
Drs. Kato, Novelli, Gladwin, Cohen and Krishnamurti have studied mobile health technology for hydroxyurea adherence.
A pilot study of electronic directly observed therapy to improve hydroxyurea adherence
- Creary SE, Gladwin MT, Byrne M, Hildesheim M, Krishnamurti L. (2014). A pilot study of electronic directly observed therapy to improve hydroxyurea adherence in pediatric patients with sickle-cell disease. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 61(6):1068-73. PMID: 24436121. doi: 10.1002/pbc.24931.
Rationale and design of mDOT-HuA study
- Makubi A, Sasi P, Ngaeje M, Novelli EM, Mmbando BP, Gladwin MT, Makani J. (2016). Rationale and design of mDOT-HuA study: a randomized trial to assess the effect of mobile-directly observed therapy on adherence to hydroxyurea in adults with sickle cell anemia in Tanzania. BMC Med Res Methedol. 16(1):140. PMID: 27756209. PMCID:PMC5069827. doi: 10.1186/s12874-016-0245-9.
Dr. Charles Jonassaint is leading a study of a new tablet-based Painimation technology for describing and rating pain using video images.